Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Reuse, Make It Do

This business of not having Husband around is freeing...and lonely...and wacky...and lonely. (He's out of town on a bus drivers' conference.) I can't sleep, so wander around, picking up stuff I should have taken care of weeks ago. Go out and dig in the garden after sunset, figuring the plants will handle it better during the cool temps -- I have to wave a shovel every now and then to keep the motion-detector floodlights from turning off. (The neighbors must think I'm nuts, or Hiding Something.)
     Or I follow all sorts of odd threads online -- like famous plagiarizers. (You'd be amazed at the number of famous names who cropped up here, including Martin Luther King, Joe Biden and Stephen Ambrose.)
    The food choices are a little odd, too. SpaghettiOs. Fish sticks and a few leftover eggrolls. (I was cleaning out the freezer.) Iced coffee and fruit smoothies. Leftover tacos from the latest Rockies special.

    Went for a walk late last night -- part of a promise to Husband that I'd exercise every day. We live near the top of a steep hill, and Goonie, one of our pair of elderly Weimies, came with. He's been having hip trouble, and you guessed it -- his legs gave out halfway back up the hill. Picture to yourself someone dressed a bit oddly (I'd been digging in the garden in raggedy shorts and a stained t-shirt), trying to lug a 100-pound Weimaraner out of the middle of the street before a passing car hit us both. Unfortunately, Goon's toilet training often lets go when his legs do, so he was leaving a stream of poop while I was trying to get him on his feet. Not a pretty sight.

    By the time we both tottered in the front door, I was more than ready for another iced coffee and a few post-a.m. episodes of Cheers.
  
* * * * * * * *

Got a wonderful t-shirt you just can't let go of? Make it into underwear. I wish I was making this up, but the panties really do look cute -- it's part of Grocery Cart Challenge's recurring "10 ways to reuse..." series. Here's her "t-shirts" post; she's got more, including bedsheets and tires. (I am still trying to figure out how I can use that Celtic-looking bicycle tire weave headband in something textile!)

* * * * * * * *
  Husband gets home Friday night -- not a moment too soon, as far as I'm concerned. If he stays away any longer, he might find me trying to pull the tires off the Jeep while wearing a pillowcase dress. 





Buck (l) and Gunther (r), the Brick boys, looking properly penitent

No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...