Thursday, March 17, 2011

Doing It for Free

     Yesterday, I emphasized the importance of getting what you're worth. After I wrote the post, however, my guilty conscience reminded that Sunday's lecture at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum didn't gain me a cent. Was I talking out of both sides of my mouth?
      Nope. The difference is that you should be choosing when you do your work for less -- or nothing at all.
      In the case of the museum, I believe in it very much, both as a (new) board member, and as one of its appraisers (also done for reduced fees). I've been doing volunteer work for it since the mid-90s, as well as some teaching now and then.
      If you're in the Denver vicinity, take a look. You'll love the exhibits (currently it's a wartime quilts one curated by Sue Reich); there are also books and other goodies. And a great Chinese restaurant and bikers' bar is only a block away! More about the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum here.

     The point is: if you choose to work for little or free, you're 1) giving your skills and gifts to a good cause, and 2) you don't feel taken advantage of. Also, the people you're doing it for -- especially when you emphasize how much you'd normally charge -- tend to actually be grateful. (This isn't always the case if they come looking for you.)
     It's not bad to do it -- just do it on your terms.

* * * * * * * * *
The last day of business for that wonderful quilt shop, the Great American Quilt Factory, will be Saturday this week: March 19. (Ironically, it's also National Quilting Day.) Fabrics and such were down to 50% discount when I visited on Sunday...there's not much left.

No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...