Thursday, March 10, 2011

In the Heat of Passion

 That title got your attention, didn't it!!
   Actually, I'm talking about the excitement of Buying Things. This blogger is starting to realize that the thrill of the chase (and subsequent purchase) is more important to her than the actual item. (Go here for her post. Thanks, Liberal Simplicity!)

   I seem to go through boom-and-bust periods in this department. I won't buy much for weeks, except groceries and dog food, then BOOM -- in just a few days, I've purchased quilt tops, sets of blocks and some books 'for research purposes.' (How often that excuse gets trotted out, I don't want to admit.)
   Sometimes it really is needed, like an antique postcard for a book illustration.Or the glass tiles destined for our kitchen backsplash. (They were on sale. Okay...I admit it. They're still sitting in the delivery box.)

   Sometimes it's business stuff. Books to restock inventory and fabrics for kits, for example. We need the books to sell -- and we'll need the fabrics eventually. I'm being sensible in the latter: Cotton fabric prices are rising, due in part to drought and crop failures in the Far East. By the end of the year, they'll really be up. An informal report's here; a more formal one, here. (When ABC News is warning consumers to 'brace themselves,' I get a little worried and stock up.)
     This was only reinforced during my North Carolina trip last week; during a visit to Mary Jo's, one of the local hangouts, the store owner told me their prices were all going up 50 cents a yard in the next few days. That doesn't seem like much, until you realize that fabric prices have been steadily creeping up for the past few years, with no end in sight.

     The crux of the matter, though, is that item may be a great buy -- but do we need it? If there's a great sale at King Soopers or Safeway, is that so important if my freezer already is stuffed with 'great buys' that, if pushed to the back, will just get freezer burn and be thrown away? 
     So, unless the price is fall-down-incredible, I've been avoiding the stores. Or trying to. It's hard to put back a 75% off Valentine's box of chocolates, or walk away from a silk shirt at the thrift shop. (In case you're wondering, I bought the chocolates -- but put the shirt back.) There's the battle in my Hollander heart: how can I not buy it, if it's a 'bargain?' Isn't that the plan -- to save money? (The fact that you save even more by not buying it seems irrelevent in the heat of the moment.)

    March and April are perfect for a challenge. No birthdays in our family (with the exception of Dad, who will be celebrating April Fool's Day in Heaven). No travel plans, except business. No expensive commitments. Can I keep my purchases to a bare minimum -- groceries (and not a lot of those, the freezer's still full), dog food...and maybe underwear? (Those cotton prices, after all.)
    I'm going to try. Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Cate said...

Thank you for linking me! I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

I do the same thing with the boom-and-bust periods. Sometimes I'm extremely frugal...sometimes I just want to spend. It's very strange.

Good luck with your challenge!

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...