Thursday, April 28, 2011

What Can You Do?

The Art of Non-Conformity told a sobering tale today: the story of Paul, an artist who has the talent to succeed...but not the discipline or determination.
    Ouch. I know this story all too well. You can have all the ideas in the world...but until you SIT DOWN AND WRITE, they don't get published! (I used to belong to a local writers group, but soon realized that the most vocal members weren't publishing. You can either talk about writing -- or you write. It's tough, if not impossible, to do both.)
     That quilt will be the best...but if you don't stitch, forget it! Sometimes you see the same idea in someone else's work, years down the road, and kick yourself for not developing it first. The best creations take time, care, and often a few stumbles along the road.
    I really want to conquer this tendency to whine or procrastinate, rather than take action. Hopefully you do, too.

* * * * * * * * * *
A beautiful, warm day with plenty of breezes -- perfect drying weather. The clotheslines are jammed; thanks to putzing around with Pepper, and other stuff, the dirty clothes bin was full. It's empty now, with just a few shirts left to iron. I'd love to start planting things again -- BUT it snowed twice yesterday, and the forecast for this weekend is back to 40-degree highs...tops.

    I'd almost finished hanging out clothes when Charley trotted up, a coil of rope held loosely in his mouth. Oop, wait a minute -- that rope was moving. I yelled, Charley dropped it, and the snake just lay there. (Charley was smacking his lips: "Gee, Mom, that tasted kind of strange!") I tried to shovel it up, and the snake whooshed off into the woodpile. Thankfully, it was just a garter. They're great for keeping bugs and mice out of the garden -- but then again, I'd be happy if I never saw this one again. (At least I didn't sit on it!)

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...