Thursday, May 19, 2011

Think. I'm. Going. Crazy.

How about you?

   We've traded our normally Colorado-blue skies for something that looks like a marshmallow -- one you dug out from under the refrigerator, that is. Everything is gray and puffy-looking. Hopefully we'll get lots of rain from it...though I hear tell it will be snow, come tomorrow. Just in time for The Mama's arrival at DIA. (Last week, she said jokingly, "Now don't let it snow while I'm there -- I'm not bringing my winter coat!" Ha.)

  So until she gets here, I've been running around picking up piles, Putting Away Stuff and trying to do the minimum so we don't look like slobs...while still finishing up a large batch of appraisals, checking on orders, and such. (Both staffers are off this week and next, thanks to graduation and other priorities.)
    Charley and Jack do their part by occasionally tripping me ("Hi, Mom!") and re-digging the multiple holes I've been trying to fill up. It looks like we have giant gophers out there in the backyard.


Stuff to Think About While I Put Stuff Away:

*What's your take on the new show Extreme Couponers? It's prompted a lot of discussion. (One example: check out Crazy Aunt Purl's May 5 post.)  I've probably watched half the shows...but get restless. How DO they get some of those incredible coupons?? I think of myself as reasonably good in this department, but I only see $1 coupons for things like detergent. (And around here, products like that are rarely, if ever, marked down to clearance. Makeup, lotion, ditto.) Doubling coupons is possible at both Safeway and King Soopers -- but they'll only go to $1 total, including the doubling. Last night's 'Treasure' was getting way more than that in last night's episode, including a fistful of $2 off store coupons ("catalinas") that I've only seen once or twice here. (And you're lucky if you get one.)
    The other issue is stockpiles. Why crow about three years worth of toothpaste, when it's pretty clear you won't be letting anyone (your family included) get their hands on it? How can it help to stockpile dozens of packages of rice cakes, chips, etc. (using the same "hands off" approach) when I know very well that these items will be stale in six months. (Don't ask how I know. I just know. :)
    Not to mention that all those items cut down on your storage area. Right now, any storage in our house is golden.
    So -- I'm sort of impressed. At the same time, though, I wonder if some of these people wouldn't be better candidates for Hoarders, instead.

And if you're not impressed with that, try
*Dr. Phil's latest whack at moochers, featuring 20-something twins who refuse to help out, or move out. Shoot, why watch Jerry Springer when you've got good stuff like this!

Oh, and the Rockies are losing big time. Wait -- I don't want to think about that...

No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...