Thursday, August 18, 2011

B & P For A Summer Day

I'm starting to feel a little more energetic...can you tell? There are still allergies, A Big Mess and struggles to deal with, but it's like wading out of the deep end: you can finally get your feet back underneath you. Makes it easier to get things done.


In the meantime, here are a variety of Bits And Pieces for you to consider: think of them as mental nibbles to spice up a quiet period.


*Simple Dollar's Reader's Mailbag. I love Trent's Monday and Thursday mailbags -- I may not always agree with him (or his commenters), but they get thinking. Try the question on "Should Mom declare bankruptcy?"
   A side note: Trent mentions meeting up with a friend he knew fifteen years ago -- who only wanted to talk about 'back then.' (They didn't even ask if Trent was married or had kids -- themes that are very important to his blog.) This got me thinking about a party I went to...and met an old friend I had known very well growing up, but hadn't seen for years. His former girlfriend was also at the party...and launched into a lengthy, blow-by-blow description of how her kids were born. (They aren't his, by the way. And her girls are 25 years old.) 
     I tried to contribute a few light tidbits of my own, just to stay in the fray, but could feel my face getting red. I should have just shut up. (Old Friend, on the other hand, had a little smile on his face the whole time.)


*Another writer's opinion of Textbroker. I gave you mine yesterday.


*A reverent look at making and preparing food. Not only for us, but how we join hands with other cultures and nations when we do it wisely. Doris Longacre's More-With-Less cookbook is referenced here: one of the best when you're cooking on a budget. In two decades of cooking out of it, I've rarely had anything but delicious and easy-to-make results.


*77 Inspiring Quotes. I particularly liked this one, from Winston Churchill:
     "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

    Michael Jordan once said his failures had made him successful. A good thing to remember when you feel down and blue.


*"Making Money Online," from the same guy who compiled the quotes. I'm not sure about his methods (or even purported success), but it gives you room to think, at least. (Crystal at MoneySavingMom offers five additional possibilities here.)

*15 Foods That Taste Good and are Good For You: At About $2 Each. Poke around this site and your frugal self will find some other goodies, like 100-calorie snacks -- 25 of them.


The coffee cup is nearly empty. (Good Panamanian stuff.) Basement work awaits...and the dishwasher...and the ironing. I'd better get to it.

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...