Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday Stuff On the Way to Other Stuff: Spring-ing into Gigs

It's been a long few weeks. 
     I'm grateful I didn't head to Paducah this year, for the annual American Quilter's Society funfest...not sure I could have done it. I find myself increasingly exhausted, just keeping up with the batch of gigs that's come along in March and April. After Deer Trail and Estes Park, I did another talk at the Byers library on "Quilts with Secrets." It was made even more interesting, by someone bringing her family's Crazy quilt for me to puzzle over. She planned to finish it, and wasn't sure where to head next. 
     I brought some old handkerchiefs, too, just to pique people's interest. One was an 1850 treasure from a sailor's estate -- it was a map of England, so he could make his way around whenever he landed there at port! 
     This week is full of appraising gigs -- but at least I get to stay at home. Sort of. Meanwhile:

What it's like to live in your car...in New York City. On a related note:

Waking up in Wal-mart. The parking lot, that is. A photographer spent three weeks traveling to various lots...and here are the people he found. (I wonder if he hit our local Wally -- it's on a hill, and has an incredible view of the mountains. My folks used to joke that they would take their RV around the country, and just stay in Wal-Mart parking lots. Obviously, some people do just that.)

What vehicles should last the longest? Five Cent Nickel weighs in with the top five (actually six).

Ten things not to buy in 2014. (Well, at least to think harder about before you get out your wallet.) 

A couple of 17th century pirate hiding spots rediscovered in Ireland. Complete with concealed steps and niches for lanterns.

I've grown to love this enigmatic country. You would, too.


Ten amazing underwater discoveries. Cities, planes...even two locomotives no one can figure out!  And from the same site:

Ten lesser-known American mysteries. Including missing treasure, mysterious deaths...and another Bigfoot sighting!  (Or have fun with these other Bigfoot sightings from around the world.)

The 2014 Pulitzer Prize winners. Including a guy from the Gazette in Colorado Springs!

"Help! My significant other makes me pay for everything." Advice from Making Sense of Cents. (Ta da -- not having to deal with this is one of the perks of true partnership.  We deal with things together.)



How to make money buy happiness. And it's not by buying what you think! (From Mr. Money Mustache) 

Nine ways to get stuff for free from Amazon. I've earned literally hundreds of dollars of giftcards from Swagbucks over the years -- you can, too, and it's really easy. Click on the 'Swagbucks thang' at right to learn more. (From Cha-Ching on A Budget.)

The art of asking for a discount. I'd never thought of asking about leftover breadsticks at Pizza Hut! (From Save Outside the Box)

Reclaimed wood projects. I love Funky Junk Interiors' stuff anyways -- all that texture and patina -- but she really shines in this area. And so do her contributors, including this wonderful spool table. (Hmm...giving me ideas...) Plus, if you're going to work with reclaimed wood, a way to:




Minimize 'tearout' (splinters) and raggedy areas. (From Follow Your Heart Woodworking)

Quilt-Speak: a graceful (and grateful) look at how one person began quilting -- and appraising. (Thanks to my friend and colleague Ann Nash.)

Could there be money hidden in your walls? (From the Penny Hoarder)  A girl wrote me one time -- she and her husband were renovating, and when they broke the wall open, a newspaper clipping floated down at their feet. It was a quilt pattern. The girl was a quilter, had thought they might have a resident ghost...and figured "Lucy" wanted her to have the pattern!

Have a great week.  






No comments:

But I LIKE Oysters...

  'Overheard a conversation about people talking about rich people and weird foods, and eventually they started talking about oysters.  ...