Friday, June 20, 2014

What Were You Thinking, Hillary?

I have a problem with Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Granted, I wasn't too fond of her husband. (Having to explain the definition of "oral sex," as well as the Significance of the Cigar to my young daughters, years before they needed to know, probably had a lot to do with it.)

Yes, Hillary stuck by her husband then, at a time when any self-respecting wife would have kicked him to the curb. You have to admire loyalty.
    She's also a smart, clever woman -- well-educated and well-spoken.

But is she honest?

Although the Whitewater scandal barely peeps over the horizon nowadays, it was a huge deal when it first was revealed -- and Hillary's fingerprints are all over that particular issue. (Click on the link in the first sentence, if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

She has also been caught in a number of lies and half-truths over the years, including during her stint as Secretary of State. Here's the latest:

During an interview with Diane Sawyer, she all but announced that she and Bill gave their all for the presidency. How could she prove it? They were "dead broke" when they left.


Conveniently forgotten are the $8 million book deal (yes, folks, you read that right), two multi-million homes purchased, and the lucrative speaking deals both Clintons took advantage of as soon as they unpacked their bags. Yep, they were truly destitute.

 Here she is, trying to explain what she really meant:


 Hillary, you also understand what it's like to not be able to pay your bills. You know the heartache of being laid off, and the fear that you won't find work, especially if you're older. You know what it's like to scrape for every penny.
    Sure. Uh-huh.

It's no surprise, then, that pundits are asking, "Can you really trust this woman?"

I am all for intelligent, well-spoken women gaining a stronger public voice and influence. (I am a big fan of Elizabeth Dole, as a result.) And there are voices out there urging me to vote for Mrs. Clinton for president...because, after all, She's Female. (The implication, of course is that not voting for her would brand me as a bigot or a dupe. A traitor to my own sex, literally.)

What I really can't stomach, though, is a public person assuming I won't care about their reputation or morality. If someone says they care about the people they're supposed to be serving, can I feel assured that at the first chance to make a big profit, an 'opportunity' or bribe thrown their way, they won't cut and run?

In the case of Hillary Clinton... I cannot.


* * * * * * * * * *
Personal update:  Still here in Michigan, with The Mama. It's now been a little more than two weeks since her open heart surgery. She is doing really well. Incision's healing nicely, and she gets a little stronger with each day. In fact, she can now walk down the driveway and back without getting exhausted. I can leave her on her own for longer periods, as well. (Which is good, or you wouldn't even be reading this -- The Mama does not have or believe in computers and the Internet. I have to go to the library, where I am now, or my cousin's to get any work done. Thus the periodic silence these past weeks.) 
     But with her health improving, she gets more restless to be Doing Something. And a little crabby. I can't blame her. It's tough to be sick!


No comments:

Spring Is Here... And Updates

       We have now lived in Fort Garland for five months. It's been interesting to see how spring arrives here in the 'High Desert:&...