Friday, September 30, 2016

Monday (that's right, Friday) Stuff On the Way to Other Stuff: Retrenching

That's what Jane Austen's heroine's father said, after being presented with his list of debts.

      "You must retrench," says his kind neighbor in Persuasion. She then mentions moving to the town of Bath. Interesting things are going on there, including plays, lectures, blah blah -- including the plain truth that he could put distance between himself and his creditors. 
       Dad pauses, thinks...

      "I am for...Bath." (says he)

Boy, I wish I was 'for Bath.' (England, that is) We don't owe big bucks to anyone, but it would be soooo nice to retrench.

I'm now HOME. For a while, at least. I had to take a taxi in the Chicago rain to make the plane. (Amtrak was late.) And we had to pay extra. But I don't care. I can pick my own beans, snuggle up to the Brick, pet Charley (okay, the Brick, too) and pretty much do whatever I want.

Sort of.

A bunch of little tasks must be completed by this weekend. A quilt top for class needs to be finished up. (coming soon at the John C. Campbell School of Folk Art in North Carolina)

But at least I can be HOME while I'm working on them. And with the Brick...who's going with me to his home state. (He'll take a woodworking class while I'm teaching quilting.) And I don't have to leave him again for a long, long time.

Only a few Monday Stuff items -- next Monday will be better.




A no-bake peanut butter cup pie that looks absolutely amazing.  (SHAME on you, Crazy for Crust!)

Was your child still young when your spouse reached retirement age? They may be eligible for $$ through Social Security.  (From Liz Weston)

No-sew fall pillows -- for $5 or less.  (From Cleverly Inspired)



Nasa has decided that they, and only they, should add a THIRTEENTH Zodiac sign: "Ophiuchus." (pronounced "O-few-kus." Not even sure I spelled it right.) According to them, there's always been a thirteenth constellation to correspond-- the Babylonians, shame on them, ignored it. So if your birthday is between mid-November through mid-December, good luck.

Eight comfort food classics. (Betty Crocker, you temptress.)

This very funny look at a Big Mean Dog.


This one, too...



Easy ways to shop online -- and save even more. (Thanks, Apartment Therapy)

Elon Musk has a spaceship capable of -- and ready to -- send people to Mars in 80 days. Wanna go? "Then be prepared to die." Now, THAT'S an incentive!  (From Slashdot)


And life goes on...
     hope it's going well for you.













No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...