Saturday, March 3, 2018

Still A Bunch of Things I Don't Understand

...And sadly, some things I understand all too well.

Gentle Readers, they're still out there. I've mentioned items before (here, too -- and yep, here as wellbut there always seem to be more. Welcome to the world in all its quirkiness.






*From the Department of Overrated NewsWalmart is changing its name in 2018. I've already heard people in a panic about this. Something radical, right? You bet -- instead of 'Wal-Mart Stores Inc.,' it will now be 'Walmart Inc.'
      Oh, the horror.

*Barbra Streisand cloned her yipey dog -- for only $50,000. Funny, she says that the two puppies that resulted don't have physical traits of the original dog -- they don't have its' "serious temperament," either. Whaddya think, Barbie -- could you have put out $500 or so for another dog, and used the rest to help promote world peace?

*One of the funniest Facebook groups ever: I Craft Because Punching People Is Frowned Upon(Yes, you can join.)

*The Ministry of Silly Walks clock.  I'd love to get one of these!



Update: You can make one!  (Thank you, Scribbles & Such, for explaining how -- go here for more.)




*This interesting statement is making the rounds of  Facebook and other places:

"Hi, I'm Oprah. I'm the spokesperson for Weight Watchers but can't control my weight. I tell you how to run your marriage but I can't commit to marriage. I tell you how to raise your kids but I'm too selfish to have any. But hey, I'm black and a woman, so I check all the boxes. Even though I knew about Weinstein, I support the Me Too movement."

Obviously, this isn't Ms. Winfrey talking. And she has done a lot of good in the world, while stacking up her millions. But there is some truth here. The Weinstein connection particularly bothers me right now:




Some sources (like Snopes.com) are adamant that Oprah didn't say this. What she DID say was:

“If we make this just about Harvey Weinstein, then we will have lost this [watershed] moment,” Winfrey said. “I think this is a moment where no matter what business you work in, there have been women who not only had the disease to please, that’s a part of it, but who felt that in order to keep my job, in order to keep my positioning, in order to keep moving forward, I’ve got to smile, I’ve got to look the other way, I’ve got to pretend he didn’t say that, I’ve got to pretend he didn’t touch me — I think those days are about to be over.”

However, she had a long and warm relationship with Weinstein, documented in about a zillion photos. According to him, reported by TMZ:

Harvey has repeatedly told his team and friends that Oprah called him earlier this week and said he needed to speak out and defend himself, and when he did she would be right there supporting him. We’re told Harvey has said a number of powerful people have called to voice support, but he singled out Oprah over and over.

      (Oprah's rep said she hadn't spoken directly to him, but would be open to an interview. Uh-huh.)

At least one actress has said Winfrey was "instrumental" in introducing her to Weinstein; the young woman thought it was for her career, but it turns out it was for (ahem) something else. At least one celebrity alleges Ms. Winfrey was more than aware of this.

      Snopes is clear, while debunking the meme above, saying, "It could be argued that Oprah Winfrey bears a part of the responsibility shouldered by the rest of Hollywood for allowing sexual predation to flourish for decades (if not generations)..."
     The site goes on to emphasize Ms. Winfrey never openly pimped for Harvey Weinstein. Ooh, that makes me feel so much better.

I have also wondered about a woman who is so sensitive to 'racism' that her tv network features mostly black people, gay individuals, people with strong liberal opinions who aren't afraid to denigrate conservatives, so on and so forth. Isn't this a form of prejudice, too?
     I won't be voting for Oprah Winfrey for president. There are plenty of other educated, thoughtful and worthy women of color who would be much better choices. They might be poorer...but they're wiser, too.

Then again, Hollywood isn't the most honest of places...Harvey Weinstein or not.



Moving on:




Don't know about the rabid part, but everything else hits a liiitle too close....

The James Bond path to diplomacy:



A 'Frozen' outfit...on an adult? Really??
She looks like an ice cream sundae.

Sigh. Don't forget the jiggling, either.



Add to that snoring, and the most irritating habit you can think of. (For my poor sweet baby, it's probably watching me clean out my ears with a toothpick -- something I've done for decades.) 
If you can handle it (or ignore it), you're on the path to a good marriage.
I'm speaking out of experience: 36+ years and counting.






Charley does this a lot when he isn't sure how to respond. 



And finally:



No comments:

Frugal Hits & Misses: March Report

 This has been a tighter month than most -- due in great part to some unexpected truck expenses. Last month's property tax payment sucke...